Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Do You Sing to Your Kids?

I was recently reading a blogpost from the #musictherapyblogger challenge that spoke about staying connected to your own music. I am very guilty of not listening to music outside of "work." My kids, wife, and extended family very rarely hear me sing or use my music unless they ask me to play or sing for a wedding, funeral or some other function. Not too long ago, we bought a house and as we were looking at houses with our realtor, we asked him if he ever watched "House Hunters" or any of the other reality shows about homes. His answer, "no, it's my job, why would I want to watch something at home that I do at work?" It totally made sense to me.

I often get asked, "Do you sing with your kids?" And I usually answer shyly that I usually do not, but my kids are very musical and I love to hear them play piano, clarinet, saxophone, recorder, drums or another else they find around the house.  But for me to sit down and sing something for my own enjoyment or "just because" would be very rare.

Why is this? As a Hospice Music Therapist, I felt emotionally spent at the end of the day. Now, that I am back in a geriatric setting conducting both activities and music therapy, I feel so much more relaxed in the evening. Tired, but not spent. I had been in a recreational choir for close to ten years and may try to look for another choir to join soon as I know the importance of enjoying music.

But for now, I'll be happy listening to the kids sing, play and joining in with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment