Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Part-time vs. Full-time

My career has taken all sorts of twists and turns from being a K-8 general music teacher to being a stay at home Dad, being a Weight Watcher receptionist to working overnight security at a Senior Living Facility. None of these positions turned out to be what I really wanted to do as a career. I am a MUSIC THERAPIST! (yes, I shouted)

Music therapy is an awesome occupation with so many opportunities for specializing in specific populations. I've worked with a wide variety of populations from very young to very old and the later is definitely the population that I feel most comfortable with. My path has now led me in a new direction as I will be transitioning from a part-time Music Therapist and part-time Hospice Music Therapist to a full-time Activity Therapist. You can bet that I'll be calling my share of Bingo games, but I will definitely be implementing Music Therapy into my residents days wherever and whenever possible.

The decision was not an easy one. I weighed the pros and cons endlessly. One's occupation is a huge part of their identity.  I spent many years training to become a music teacher and another several years training to be a music therapist. Did I really want to take the music out of therapist and become an Activity Therapist? My answer is yes. After weighing the pros and cons, I came to the conclusion that I can implement music therapy into an activity department easily. Not only that, I will have 40 hours to do it...in the same building...with colleagues to bounce ideas off of.

Initially, I interviewed and was told the starting pay. Devastated by the cut in pay I'd incur, I knew I couldn't take the position. However, I also knew this was the right position for me. After a second interview, I was offered the position. I graciously declined citing the low starting salary as the sole reason. What I did next was something that I had never thought I would have the courage to do. I went back to the facility a week later and restated my interest in the position. Unbelievably to me, they called me back with a starting salary I was happy to accept. The relief, enthusiasm and excitement in my new supervisors response will never be forgotten.

So what were those pros and cons that tipped the scales in favor of a full-time position. I made a list and came up with my biggest pros not involving the position at all. Instead, my pros included things such as shorter commutes, being in one place all day, a set routine, paid vacations and consistent pay. The only things on my list were paid vacations, benefits and building long term relationships. As a PRN Music Therapist, professional relationship are few and far between. And as a Hospice Music Therapist, I stay on guard as to not get too attached, knowing a terminal diagnosis is the reason for hospice placement.  On the flip side, the only cons that I had on my list all included things about the job such as working weekends, holidays, specific hours and low hourly pay. The biggest reason for me searching for the stability of a full time position was definitely the steady pay. Being in Hospice, my paychecks ranged from very high $750 a week, to very low $150 a week. It's been more and more of the very low lately and as a family, I need to add more and stable money to the bottom line.

I can live with those cons and am looking forward to my new full time position starting May 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment