Saturday, May 9, 2015

Be Prepared

I learned very early on to come prepared to 1:1 visits. Of course, I carry around the essentials of instruments and music, pens, paper and blank paperwork, along with other props and necessities. The one thing that I do carry around that I often get asked about is my folding stool. I've had countless MT's that I have trained and the first thing I tell them to do is invest in a stool that will hold up. I'm actually on my third stool as I did not like the first two. The first two were more camping stools with a triangular seat. They really were not comfortable, but my kids enjoy playing with them now. The one I have now has lasted well over two years. I do have to be careful not to store it in my bag close to the sharp edges especially of my metal clipboard.

Why do I bring my own stool? As a Hospice Music Therapist, I learned from a wise Massage Therapist to BYOBS or "Bring Your Own Butt Seat!" It is so difficult to find an armless chair in a skilled care facility and in resident rooms it's difficult to find any chair at all. My knees and my back thank me all the time for bringing my folding stool into 1:1 sessions or group sessions, where if a chair with arms is the only alternative, my back and whole body positioning is off. The residents often comment about how small the seat is and then the realize it's exactly the right height for me to see them "eye to eye."

It's so nice to be at eye level with my residents and I use my stool whenever possible; moving it around the room with me from resident to resident to assist in playing instruments or in making the personal contact while singing hello or goodbye songs.

It's not something musical and definitely not something most people would think of as essential, but I know when others are looking for a seat, I don't need to waste the time or energy as I have come prepared with my own seat.






#‎MusicTherapyBlogger‬ Challenge #2 is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment