Friday, May 1, 2015

#Thankyounote: Elevator Speech

What is music therapy?
If I had a penny for each time I've heard that question, I'd probably have a buck by now. Seriously, it has happened in the strangest of situations as I have my Hospice name badge on and I going about with daily errands. Checking out at the grocery store, getting an oil change, at the dermatologist and I'm sure the barber would ask too if I'd have enough hair to go there.   
One wonderful lesson that I learned, amongst others, while studying Music Therapy, was to have a simple explanation of what I do. Summarize it within 30 seconds and make it easy to understand. If you were in an elevator, how much time would you have to define what you do? Make it an "elevator speech."
My elevator speech is simple and to the point. I use music as a compliment! Music to engage, music to empower, music to encourage, music to promote, music to enhance, music to express, music to manage, music to alleviate, music to increase, music to develop, music to teach... I know music therapy is so much more, but I feel that telling people about the goals we try to reach makes it much easier to understand. 
What I used to say has started confusing me more: I use music to reach non-musical goals. This is such a strange statement as I have to use music to reach all my patients goals, so really aren't all the goals I'm trying to achieve musical? I still struggle to find the right words and sometimes wonder if defining it is worth it. Every music therapy session is so different and unique as each individual. I'm sure I should put something in there about all the schooling I needed along with a LONG unpaid year internship that I completed while also working full-time. Yes, I interned for almost an entire year so that I could keep working for money as well.  
What can music therapy be compared to? I've also tried to tie it into other therapies. Music therapy uses music to work on goals that could be worked on in speech, occupational, or physical therapy. Yes, complimentary! 
Music therapy? You must perform a lot! Well, music therapy can be used in individual and group sessions and really the music is not the star of the show. It compliments the session. Yes, a music therapist music be a confident musician, but some of the best music therapists may not have the best singing voice. They may be uniquely intuitive and great facilitators without the need of the best voice.  True, my primary instrument is my voice, but music therapists primary instruments could be anything from tuba to violin. I love singing, but within a music therapy session, I may use guitar or rhythm instruments instead of my voice for the entire session. I know, it has happened. That intuitive feeling and being in the moment with patients dictates the direction of the session.
Complimentary! It's the simplest way I can describe what I do. Is it the best definition. Probably not, but it's a definition I understand and can use to start a conversation with someone when they ask.
I love my profession, but sometimes wish I could be a garbageman as everyone knows what they do without asking!

1 comment: