Monday, May 11, 2015

Monday Intervention: Cinco De Mayo

I know it's late. It happened last week and honestly, I was terrified to conduct this session. Not because I was worried about the subject, but more because I knew my new supervisor was going to be watching me intently. It really was not a subject I wanted to do a music therapy session about. Since I started my new position last Monday, I really didn't have a say over what activities were put on my calendar for the month. It happened on Friday that "Travel Time" was listed. At least it was vague, so I worked on a bit of a Mexico theme for the session.

The thematic songs I used for the session were: "Mexicali Rose," "De Colores," and "South of the Border." These songs were used in a sing along fashion with large print words.

La Chucaracha served as a great beat to play maracas too. Besides playing the maracas, we also played "hot potato." This was done with much assistance from the MT, helping to pass the maraca if residents were a bit too far away from each other.  It turned out to be a very social, engaging interactive intervention.

The use of a few props also led to more discussion and reminiscing. A Mexican wool blanket, a sombrero, hand painted maraca, and hand painted marionette were used to add to the sensory awareness. The residents enjoyed touching and feeling the blanket and sombrero.

Of course, the "Mexican Hat Dance" was also included. The MT demonstrated the moves and invited residents to stomp along to the moves.

It's actually a session, I'll continue to work on so I can use it a bit more refined again next year.

Goals: Socialization, reminiscing, sensory awareness, gross motor skills and engaging vocalization

No comments:

Post a Comment